Saturday, September 25, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

My third evening in Rome, I headed out on foot to do some sightseeing. I didnt really have a destination in mine, but after a conversation with a kindly old gentleman, I walked to the Trevi Fountain. Many legends circle around this fountain. Standing in front of it, watching tourists anxiously, hopefully making their wishes, I pulled three coins out of my pocket, and tossed them over my left shoulder with my right hand, while making my wish. What did I wish for?

Change. Plain and simple. As a vampire, years pass, decades pass, hell, centuries pass. You watch the world around you change, but you remain unchanged. Your habits are your habits, your family is your family. You simply exist. Hunt, shop, read. Very little changes. I wished for some change to come and shake things up.

After making my wish, I went back to my hotel. Shortly after arriving, Demetri showed up at my door. Made some flippant remark about coming to make my wish come true. Erroneously assuming that HE was my wish. Pompous Ass. Of course we argued. But I'll be damned if I didnt end up against the wall again. This encounter ended with me asking him to leave, and left me with a ripped blouse, aching with need, and regret for sending him away.

It doesnt make sense. On any level. He's with the Volturi. I am a Denali. Sworn enemies. He feeds on humans, I feed on animals. We are polar opposites. Yet, put me in the same location as him, and my entire body hums, craves him. All thought, reason, sensibility ceases to exist when he touches me.  Its annoying as hell. I should want him dead. Half the time, based on the things that come out of his mouth, I DO want him dead.  Fucker.

I wished for Change - but this is NOT what I had in mind. The fates appear to be having some entertainment at my expense.

One thing is certain. I'm staying away from that damn fountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment